Saturday, July 3, 2010

Battle Hymn of the Republic

Okay the word is out with this video clip.  I am and have been since childhood a Stryper fan.  Yes, I have gone to their concerts and not worshipped the devil.  Yes, my wife has had to endure my taste in music since I have to endure her taste for country (it is one of God’s gifts to test our deep affection).  Yes, I believe they have promoted the gospel of Jesus Christ in ways I cannot.  No, I have never had my hair that long.  No, I have never worn an earring in my life.  No, I have never once tried on a pair of spandex.  But this will be reserved for another time and place.
Here is their version of the Battle Hymn of the Republic.  It is a live version from about 25 years ago.  The recorded version is a little longer that concluded their “Soldiers Under Command” album which some say is their strongest.  They would often and still do introduce their concerts with this recording.  Ironically this clip is filmed in Japan.  But the words of this hymn (especially in its entirety) are gripping.  It emerged as a military song in the wake of a war, but the words are mainly theocentric.  In the words of the old saints, the church must be militant until she is triumphant.
Enjoy! (And turn it up loud).

No comments:

Post a Comment