Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Coffee with Andrew Fuller


Ten Fictitious Questions Based on His life and writings
B.A.-“Can you tell the bloggers what your primary denominational conviction was?”
Andrew Fuller-(looking a bit perplexed over the term ‘blogger’) “Ah, well, okay, I was an English Particular Baptist.”
B.A.-“Could you expand on ‘Particular’ Baptist?”
A.F.-“I held to a Particular Redemption or Limited Atonement”. 
B.A.-“And this is something you expand in your epic work The Gospel Worthy of All Acceptation’?”
A.F.-“Basically it is a development of the relationship between God’s sovereignty and man’s responsibility in the gospel.”
B.A.-“Lets back up a bit.  When were you born?”
A.F.-“In 1754”
B.A.-“What were the events leading up to your conversion?”
A.F.-“I attended a Baptist church where the minister, a Mr. Eve preached and tinged with a false Calvinism that is to say he had little or nothing to say about the unconverted.  As a result of this, I never gave any serious consideration to the state of my soul.”
B.A.-“So his preaching did little to rouse your conscience.  What were some positive influences?”
A.F.-“I began to read a few of John Bunyan’s works, particularly Grace Abounding to the Chief of Sinners and of course his Pilgrim’s Progress.  I also was impressed by Ralph Erskine’s Gospel Sonnets, A Gospel Catechism for Young Christians and Christ All in All in our Complete Redemption.  These not only produced serious thoughts of salvation, but literal crying over my condition.” 
B.A.-“So conviction began to grow in your soul?”
A.F.-“I would say so.  I remember too during this time I was overcome with the words from the apostle, ‘Sin will not have dominion over you; for you are not under law, but under grace’.  I felt after pondering those words that I would never fall back into sin.  But sadly I did.”
B.A.-“It sounds like you had a long struggle with sin and repentance prior to your conversion.  Is this true?” 
A.F.-“Very much so.  I would fall back into sin, and some Scripture would enter my mind, and I would feel I was restored with God only to fall back into deeper sins than before.  I felt my conscience was seared as I would make vows to God only to break them.”
B.A.-“When did you finally break with that spiral?”
A.F.-“One morning in November of 1769 I was walking alone with an unusual load of guilt on my conscience.  I sense the fire and brimstone of hell was on me.  I never felt such an odious sinner as that day.  I knew if God sent me to hell, He would be perfectly just in doing so.  I felt neither refuge nor safety in my condition.  I realized there was nothing I could do to be qualified for salvation.  I remember feeling something attractive in Jesus.  I said to God, ‘I must, I will, yes, I will trust my soul, my sinful, lost soul in his hands if I perish, then I perish!’  I was determined to cast myself on Christ believing that He would save my soul.” 
B.A.-“So you trace that moment as conversion for you?”
A.F.-“I will say that from that moment in November of 1769 I had assurance of the truth of the gospel.  My fears from that moment were gradually removed.  I was conscious that I had passed from death to life.  I broke off all my relationships with former partners in sin and sought the company of Christians.” 

No comments:

Post a Comment