Tuesday, June 14, 2011

THE LONG GOODBYE

This is a picture of my parent’s house for the last twelve years.  My mom recently sold it along with eighty acres and moved closer to me.  This was a bittersweet moment.  After my dad passed away in 2008, my mom stayed there by herself.  Her nearest neighbor was about one mile away, and she lived on a dead end dirt road.  So it made practical sense to get out of there and be closer to her family.  My sister and brother also live in KC area as well.  It was bitter because this house and the land it sat on holds dear memories to me.  My dad bought this eighty acre farm in the late 1950’s for about $4,000.  He and his father farmed it, and hunted on it (this eighty acres is the best hunting ground we have).  I spent many hours of camping, cutting wood, hunting with my father.  I have taken a few study sabbaticals in the “upper rooms”.  I have had several guys from our church down there for retreats.  In these respects, it has been tough to let it go.  We still have 120 acres, but it isn’t quite the same. 
It is funny how the Lord takes you through chapters of this life.  My grandparents farm that they lived in since the 1920’s burnt to the ground in the early 1990’s.  The house I grew up in the Northeast KC area had the same thing happen a few years back.  The first house Anita and I lived in when we were married was bulldozed down.  These are good reminders that nothing in this life no matter how precious is permanent.  Which is why we long for a city whose builder and maker is God. 

No comments:

Post a Comment