Thursday, May 27, 2010

Coffee with Carson


"As I wind down my reading of Carson, I would like to highlight another section of his book, "Worship by the Book". The elders here at Calvary have been praying through and discussing various aspects of corporate worship so these essays were timely. In a chapter written by Anglican Mark Ashton, he describes an action I mentioned in passing in one of the services on Sunday. I thought it was very appropriate.

"There are few more encouraging noises for the preacher than the rustle of Bible pages among the congregation when he announces his text. He should draw comfort from that, more than from sounds of approval for what he is saying during the sermon. A faithful congregation will draw faithful preaching out of their pastor. Conversely, it is very hard to persevere as a faithful teacher of the Word of God to a congregation that does not want to have it taught to them. To some extent congregations get the preachers they deserve, because preaching is a two-way process: the attitudes of preacher and congregation must unite in a humble hunger for God's Word. And because this is at the very center of every church service and is unaffected by whether the congregation is large or small, so it does not matter what size the church service is. What matters is that Jesus Christ should be present-and he will be if his Word is being heard and obeyed" (pg. 100).

I have often said that one of the most encouraging sounds for me as a preacher is to hear the turning of the pages of Scripture by the congregation while I am preaching, and one of the most encouraging sights is to see the tops of the people's heads. I praise God He has chosen in this season to give me such a place to witness these elements."

No comments:

Post a Comment